A trademark may be in the form of words, letters, or images or a combination of such elements in one or several colours.
1. General Information
Under Laos Trademark Law, one application can cover only one trademark in one class of goods or service. Priority right can be claimed in accordance with the Paris Convention.
After filing, the application shall be examined as to form. The substantive examination is conducted to identify any prior registered mark which are identical with or similar to the claimed mark. It may take about 3-4 months to obtain a Certificate of Trademark Registration.
2. Document required
- A notarized Power of Attorney from the applicant;
- 20 specimens of the mark to be registered;
- A copy of the priority document if claiming priority rights under the Paris Convention;
3. Information required
- Full name, address, nationality of the applicant;
- List of goods/services covered by the claimed mark and respective international class(es);
- Convention Priority Data (Application No., Filing date, Country), if any.
4. Duration of Protection and Renewal
A registration is valid for ten years from the filing date of the trademark application with possibility to be renewed for successive times, each of 10 years. Late renewal is allowed within the 6 month period after the expiration date of the registration upon payment of an additional fee. If the renewal is not made within the above-specified period, the registered mark shall be cancelled.